Hum Installation & Start-Up FAQs
Getting your Hum+ or Hum× system set up is easy. Simply visit the Setup page at www.hum.com/setup/ for a step-by-step guide. You can also check out the how-to video at the same link.
With the free Hum App, there is no hardware to activate. You only need to create your account in the Hum App. To learn about all Hum products, please visit hum.com. From the Hum App, you can also select Settings > My account > Upgrade.
Once you’ve completed the installation and after your first drive, you’ll begin seeing dashboard updates in the Hum App and the Hum Customer Portal. Plus, you’ll be ready to set up driver alerts, view your Driving History, access Vehicle Location information and more.
If you’re having difficulty installing your Hum System, please call Hum Customer Service at (800) 711-5800, and we’ll be happy to help.
To pair your mobile phone with your speaker, first make sure your speaker is charged and your Hum OBD (On-Board Diagnostics) Reader is correctly installed. Then follow these steps:
- Start your vehicle.
- Put the Hum Speaker’s hands-free on/off button in the On position.
- On your mobile phone, turn Bluetooth® On.
- On the Hum Speaker, press and hold the green phone button for about five seconds, until the blue light begins to flash.
- In your phone’s Bluetooth® settings, search for available devices.
- Select Hum from the search results on your phone, then select OK.
- If prompted for a PIN, enter 0000.
- The connected status of Hum System in phone’s Bluetooth® settings will indicate that your phone has been paired successfully.
TIP: For the best hands-free calling reception, make sure the Hum Speaker is attached to the driver’s sun visor or is in front of the person speaking.
The Bluetooth® status LED provides the following indicators:
- Unlit: Speaker is not connected.
- Slow Blinking Blue: Speaker is in pairing mode.
- Solid Blue: Speaker is connected.
The battery status LED provides the following indicators:
- Solid Green: Device is fully charged and ready to use.
- Solid Orange: Speaker is plugged in and charging.
- Slow Blinking Red: Speaker battery is below 25% and should be charged as soon as possible.
The Hum Speaker’s LED light ring provides the following indicators:
- Unlit: Speaker is not connected.
- Blue clockwise pattern: Speaker is in Bluetooth pairing mode.
- Blue ring flashes three times: Bluetooth pairing successful.
- Two blue lights at top of ring fading on and off: Speaker is connected to phone.
- White flashing ring: Speaker’s mic is muted.
- White clockwise pattern: Incoming call or outgoing call (before answered).
- Green clockwise pattern: Speaker is charging.
- Half circle = 50% charged.
- Full circle = fully charged.
It depends on the Hum Product you are using.
In order to use the Hum× Wi-Fi feature, you will need to purchase data from Verizon Wireless.
You have two options:
- You can add Hum× to your existing Verizon Wireless shareable data plan. When you add Hum× to your Verizon Wireless shareable data plan, your Wi-Fi Hotspot data is drawn from your overall Verizon Wireless monthly data allowance.
- You also have the option to purchase Hum× on its own – without an existing Verizon Wireless data plan. 1GB of data will be included with your monthly subscription and additional data is available for purchase at $10 per GB on an as-needed basis.
You also do not need to be a Verizon Wireless customer to use Hum+. Simply purchase the Hum+ equipment from a Verizon Wireless retail store, or a participating retailer, and download the Hum App to get started.
You do not need to be a Verizon Wireless customer and you can use the free Hum App without a Verizon Wireless account. Simply download the Hum App from Google Play or the App Store to get started.
If you’re subscribed to Hum+ or Hum×, you need the Hum OBD (On-Board Diagnostics) Reader in order to enable to most features included with your Hum+ or Hum× Service.
Some models of Hum include a Bluetooth® Speaker that allows you to talk hands-free and keep two hands on the wheel. If you have a Hum Speaker, it is important to keep it charged to access emergency assistance if Hum detects a crash, use hands-free Bluetooth® calling, and to have Hum Customer Service just a push of a button away.
If you’re only using the free Hum App and are not subscribed to Hum+ or Hum× Service, then you can use the Hum App without any other Hum Hardware. Free Hum App users have access to Safety Score, Navigation, and Discounts.
Not necessarily. You can download the Hum App for free and get access to Safety Score, Navigation, and Discounts without purchasing the Hum equipment. Although, without the equipment you’ll miss out on many awesome features that Hum+ and Hum× offer.